Prepare a delicious gourmet chicken dinner using Panko. Panko breading provides a great way to create a great-tasting chicken entrée that will please even the most discriminating of palates. This style of chicken preparation is a bit more upscale and special than basic grilling or broiling, yet isn't heavy like traditional fried chicken. Try your hand at making this tasty chicken dish in your own kitchen.
How to Make Panko Chicken
This elegant chicken recipe is surprisingly easy to make and is also quite versatile.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup of butter
- 1/4 cup brown mustard (stone ground or smooth)
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs (store-bought or homemade)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Freshly ground sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a baking sheet or pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Wash chicken and pat dry.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together Panko bread crumbs, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Melt butter using your microwave oven.
- Add mustard to melted butter, stirring well to combine.
- Lightly coat chicken pieces in butter/mustard mixture (either by dipping or using a pastry brush).
- Place coated chicken into Panko mixture, ensuring that a light layer of seasoned crumbs stick to both sides.
- Place chicken pieces in a single layer on prepared baking sheet or pan.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, ensuring that internal temperature reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
You can vary the flavor of this recipe to meet your preferences by changing the combination of spices that you add to the Panko bread crumbs. A few options you may want to try include:
- Italian: 2 cloves minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon freshly chopped oregano, 1 teaspoon freshly chopped basil, 1/4 cut grated parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste
- Pesto: 2 cloves minced garlic, 1 teaspoon freshly chopped basil, 1 tablespoon ground pine nuts, salt and pepper to taste
- Creole: 3 tablespoons of Creole seasoning (such as Tony Chachere's or Zatarain's); note that salt and pepper are already included in the seasoning mix
- Tex-Mex: 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon of paprika, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, salt and pepper to taste
- Mediterranean: 3 tablespoons of Greek seasoning (such as Cavender's) and 1 teaspoon of onion powder; note that salt and pepper are already included in the seasoning mix; sprinkle with chopped black olives and feta cheese before baking
Panko chicken is a very versatile entree that can be paired with a variety of delicious side dishes.
- A few particularly good vegetable recipes to pair with this entree include grilled vegetables and sautéed asparagus.
- Tasty starch recipes that work well with this dish include mushroom risotto and scalloped potatoes.
- If you'd like to add something a bit unexpected to your meal, consider this spaghetti squash recipe.
- Serve slices of Panko chicken over your favorite pasta recipe for the ultimate in elegant simplicity.
Create a Complete Meal
No matter what combination of side dishes you choose, add a salad and some store-bought or freshly-baked bread to complete your menu. You'll have a gourmet feast that is just appropriate for an elegant dinner party as it is for an evening meal for you and your family to enjoy.