Penzeys Spices is one of the largest retailers of spices in the United States and possibly the world. Not only do they carry well known spices, they carry exotic spices, herbs, and blends that can be difficult to find anywhere else. They carry over 250 spices, herbs, and seasoning blends.
History of Penzeys Spices
Penzeys was not always exclusively a spice company. In 1957 Bill Penzey, Sr. and his wife, Ruth, started a small coffee and spice business in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Their business grew and their son, Bill, began working in the family store when he was just ten years old. Over time the Penzeys dropped coffee and focused on spices and herbs.
In 1986 Bill Penzey, Jr. began a mail order service supplying people all over the country with Penzeys spices. So determined was he to make it work that he put almost all the profits back into the business and published his own catalog on a small home computer.
Throughout the 1980s and 90s Penzeys spices continued to grow. The mail order business flourished and the company headquarters moved several times. Soon the company began opening its own retail stores.
Currently Penzeys has close to 50 stores spread out over 24 states.
Penzeys, because of the size of the company, can sell fresh, high quality spices for about the same price as less fresh grocery store brands. Their catalog is huge and someone who likes to cook can pore over their website for an entire afternoon. The descriptions in the catalog are helpful to the novice cook who may be unfamiliar with some of the more exotic items.
Most of the spices cost around five dollars for four ounces. The more unusual spices may cost a bit more.
Penzeys Spices offers several shipping options. Orders that are shipped by their regular shipping methods will take three to six business days to leave the warehouse.
- Slow - Takes up to two weeks after leaving the warehouse.
- Regular- May take up to a week to be delivered after leaving the warehouse.
- UPS - This also takes up to a week from the time it leaves the company.
For an additional cost you can use one of the expedited shipping methods. Your order will leave the warehouse within about two days.
- Third day business - This will take three business days to arrive at your home once it leaves the warehouse. This shipping method does exclude Saturday delivery.
- Second day shipping - This method will have your spices to you within two days of leaving the warehouse and excludes Saturday deliveries.
- Next day shipping- This will arrive one day after leaving the warehouse
Penzeys offers containers to hold your spices and keep them fresh. They offer a variety of jars in different sizes, all made of clear glass with black lids and labels that can be customized to the spice that you put in it.They also have:
- Salt shakers
- Pepper mills
- Gift boxes
- Gift cards
Spices You May Want to Buy
If you have visited their site and your head is spinning from all of the amazing herbs, spices, and blends that they have you might be interested in the following list of spices:
- Baking spice - A Penzeys blend of cinnamon, mace, anise, and cardamom
- Mural of Flavor - This spice mix creates big flavor from the combination of many herbs and spices. Some of them are; shallots, garlic, thyme, rosemary, basil, coriander, lemon peel, black pepper, chives, dill weed, and orange peel
- Pumpkin pie spice - This is excellent in banana bread, pumpkin pie and other dishes. It contains some of the following cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, ginger, mace,
- Turkish seasoning- This seasoning mixture contains some of the following; cumin, half-sharp paprika, Turkish oregano, sumac, cilantro.
- Vanilla - Penzeys has vanilla beans from Tahitian to Mexican.
- Vietnamese extra fancy cinnamon- An unusually potent cinnamon that is sweet and spicy.
They even have a collection of spices solely for sausage.
Choosing Penzeys spices may help you to be more creative in your cooking as well as adding unique and unusual flavors to your meals.