Preparing gourmet seafood chowder is easy-the biggest challenge being that you must find the best ingredients possible. There are many recipes for this lovely soup which range from extremely rich to those created for a health conscious diet.
Healthy Seafood Chowder Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 cups cubed potatoes or sweet potatoes
- 2 cups low fat and low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 can clams including juice
- 1 pound fish, shrimp and scallops cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add onion, celery, and carrot and sauté ten minutes or until tender.
- Add the potatoes, chicken broth, and seasonings and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover. Simmer, until potatoes are cooked through and are tender if poked with a fork.
- Remove bay leaf and discard.
- Combine flour and water and blend until smooth.
- Whisk flour mixture into chowder until thickened.
- Add milk and the can of clams, stir until combined.
- Add remaining seafood and simmer about ten minutes.
- Serve garnished with chopped parsley.
Cream-Based Chowder Recipe
- 10-12 fresh mussels (discard any that are open)
- 8 slices bacon, diced
- 1/ 4 cup butter
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cups low sodium or homemade chicken broth
- 2 cups clam juice
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined and chopped
- 1/2 pound small scallops, cleaned
- 1 pound fish fillets(salmon, haddock, halibut, trout)skinned and diced into chunks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring 1 cup of water with a couple tablespoons of white wine to a boil in a pan with lid.
- Add mussels, cover, and gently steam until mussels open.
- Remove mussels and discard any that didn't open.
- Let cool and remove mussels from shells, coarsely chop and set aside in fridge.
- In large pan brown bacon over medium-high heat.
- Add butter, onion and celery to cooked bacon and bacon fat.
- Sauté until tender.
- Add chicken broth and potatoes to pot and cook until potatoes are fork tender.
- Combine clam juice with flour and stir until there are no lumps.
- Add flour mixture to pot and whisk until chowder is thickened.
- Add seafood and herbs.
- Cook approximately ten minutes, until seafood is just cooked.
- Add heavy cream, wine and reserved mussels; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Tomato-Based Chowder Recipe
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 can (14 oz.) stewed tomatoes
- 1 6 ounce can of clams, drained reserving liquid
- 1 cup water
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 pound mixed seafood(salmon, haddock, shrimp,scallops) cleaned and chopped into chunks
- Salt and freshly ground to taste
- In large pan, cook bacon until crispy; do not drain fat.
- Add onion, garlic, celery, carrots and cook until translucent and soft.
- Stir in bay leaf and thyme.
- Add tomatoes, clam liquid, water and potatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for until vegetables are tender.
- Add seafood and reserved clams and simmer an additional five minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and season to taste.
The Secret to Great Chowder
All gourmet seafood chowder recipes require superior seafood products that are fresh and come from a reputable source. The end product is only as good as the ingredients used, so purchase the very best.