When the weather warms up and you want to spend an afternoon outside, why not whip up some elegant picnic recipes? If you're looking to plan a special outdoor meal, these dishes aren't part of your same old picnic lunch.
This salsa isn't your everyday dip. It's sweet, tangy and a little spicy, making it a unique taste experience.
- 3/4 cup red onion, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 ripe papaya, peeled, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1/4 cup mirin or rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- In a large bowl, mix onion, tomatoes, papaya, and garlic.
- Sprinkle with mirin and hot sauce, mixing well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Gently fold in cilantro and serve!
Elegant Picnic Cheese Platter
Cheese is a great outdoor snack because the only real utensils you need are crackers and a knife. This elegant spread is sure to impress your lunchmates.
- Find a nice decorate platter large enough to hold a lot of cheese and crackers.
- Place a small ceramic bowl or ramekin in the middle on the platter.
- Create concentric rings of the different kinds of cheese, making a nice fan pattern around the bowl in the middle.
- Create rings of crackers and crostinis around cheese, continuing the fan pattern.
- Fill the bowl with marcona almonds.
- Cover with aluminum foil for transporting outdoors.
Baby Greens and Feta Summer Salad
Baby greens salads can be very elegant if you make them with special ingredients. This salad in definitely a simple gourmet dish!
- In a large portable bowl, toss greens with grapes.
- Crumble feta cheese over salad.
- Cover with foil and store in a cool place to prevent greens from wilting.
- Just before eating, toss with balsamic vinaigrette until all is well incorporated.
Planning Your Elegant Picnic
An elegant picnic can be just what the doctor ordered on a beautiful sunny day. What can you do to make a picnic extra special? Besides making a few gourmet dishes, these extras will help take your afternoon from average to amazing:
- A great bottle of wine
- Real wine glasses
- Linen napkins
- A pretty decorated blanket, such as a quilt
- Decorations for your picnic area