Creative Picnic MenusPicnic menus can include a wide variety of delicious recipes. Whether you are planning a traditional outdoor meal or an elegant outdoor feast, finding foods that compliment each other is the key to success. Begin with a favorite recipe and build your picnic menu ideas from there.
A nice salad makes excellent picnic fare. Salads are versatile and there are countless options available.
- Seafood or chicken salad with a light mayonnaise dressing served with grapefruit and mandarin oranges
- Freshly baked croissants
- Avocado dip served with crackers
- Lime meringue cookies
- Raspberry lemonade
Quiche is a delightful picnic food that travels well. This dish can be served without reheating and it is a blank canvas for adding flavor.
- Quiche with Jarlsberg cheese, cherry tomatoes, shallots and bacon.
- Grilled asparagus
- Artichoke tarts made with artichokes, eggs, cheddar, onion, garlic and breadcrumbs
- Macadamia and white chocolate cookies
- Sauvignon Blanc or white grape juice
Traditional Picnic Sandwiches
A great sandwich begins with great bread. Opt for freshly baked bread from your local bakery or use your favorite bread recipe.
- Cold roast beef served on sourdough bread with horseradish sauce, sliced tomato and romaine lettuce
- Small red potatoes stuffed with sour cream and bacon topped with grated cheddar cheese and chives
- Corn and black bean salad
- White batter cupcakes with chocolate frosting
- Amber ale or ginger ale
Healthy Picnic Menu
Sandwich wraps are light and they are a great choice for healthy picnic menus.
- Shrimp wrap with fresh spinach and hummus
- Nuts and dried fruit trail mix
- Red and yellow peppers roasted with cherry tomatoes, garlic and basil
- Watermelon balls served with toasted oats, pecans and honey
- Sparkling water with lemon slices
Crêpes may be savory or sweet. These culinary treasures may be enjoyed warm or cool and they promise not to make a mess.
- Crêpes filled with feta cheese and spinach adorned with tomato rose and fresh dill
- Meatballs simmered in ketchup and brown sugar glaze
- Three bean salad
- Gelatin and fresh berries prepared in bite-sized decorative molds
- Spanish Cava or cranberry juice and soda water
A picnic breakfast is a wonderful way to start the day. Foods served in the morning can be perfectly suitable for picnicking.
- Egg, sausage and cheese biscuit sandwich
- Cranberry and orange muffins
- Fresh fruit with dip made with cream cheese, marshmallow cream and orange juice
- Coffee and orange juice
Bocconcini and Tomatoes
Bocconcini is semi-soft cheese that pairs very well with homegrown tomatoes and basil with a dash of balsamic vinaigrette.
- Bocconcini, tomato and basil salad with balsamic vinaigrette
- Ciabatta bread with pesto, prosciutto, sweet roasted red peppers, fresh tomato and mozzarella
- Grilled polenta (cornmeal)
- Pinot Grigio or iced tea
Inspiring DessertsPanna cotta is Italian custard that may be served with ingredients like fruit, chocolate, honey or cinnamon.
- Pâté served on whole grain crackers
- Roasted chicken sandwiches on focaccia bread with goat cheese spread and sundried tomatoes
- Zucchini and pine nut salad with garlic and olive oil dressing
- Panna cotta served in reusable jars with orange jelly and chocolate shavings
- Sparkling white wine or sparkling grape juice