Major Grey's chutney is a recipe that has become very popular in the United States. You may purchase this type of chutney or make your own for a great presentation.
What Is Chutney
What is chutney? Chutney is a flavorful blend of sweet and savory ingredients that include fruit, spices and vinegar. While recipes vary, they typically have spicy undertones with some chutney recipes being quite hot. The jam-like condiment has sharp taste and a wonderful contrast between sweet and spicy. It is a great complement to meat, chicken and vegetables and it is common in Indian dishes.
Major Grey's Chutney
Major Grey's chutney is a recipe that by legend was originally developed in the 1800s by Major Grey, an officer in the Bengal Lancers who served in India. According to the legend, Grey combined ingredients to create sweet chutney using:
Crosse & Blackwell purchased the initial formula but many other manufacturers have adopted versions of the recipe. Major Grey's recipe is very popular in the United States, perhaps for its sweet flavor and jam-like consistency. Many options are available for buying the mango chutney.
Where to Buy
Crosse & Blackwell was the original company to adopt the recipe. The company's website lists different types of chutney that it sells including:
- Peach Zinfandel
- Hot mango
- Apricot Chardonnay
- Apple curry
- Pear cardamom
- Major Grey
The products may be purchased online at the Smucker's Online Store or they can find local retailers using the site's Store Locator feature. Shoppers may also find many different brands of chutney on Amazon.
Sun Brads' mango chutney is made in India. This product is available on My Brands and can be ordered online. Sun Brands' version is spicier than products produced in the United States.
The ingredients in the chutney are listed on the Crosse & Blackwell website. According to the site, "luscious juicy mangos and hints of tamarind" define the flavor of the product. This top selling chutney also contains:
- Distilled Vinegar
- Onion powder
- Natural Flavor
You can enjoy the store-bought version of the chutney or you can opt to create their own versions using fresh ingredients.
Mango Chutney Recipe
While the original recipe would be extremely difficult to find you can create a stellar presentation inspired by the Major's chutney recipe. Makes about 8 cups.
- 5 medium mangos, prepared
- 1 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 half cup of molasses
- 1 cup of dark brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped onion (yellow for pungent, Vidalia for sweeter recipes)
- 1 cup of golden raisins (1 half cup for less sweetness)
- 1 half cup of chopped lime
- 1 half cup of chopped orange
- 1 quarter cup of chopped lemon
- 1 half cup freshly grated ginger
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tbsp of mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp of red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon of curry (use allspice as a sweeter alternative)
- 1 teaspoon of cloves
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 3 tbsp of freshly chopped cilantro
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan except the cilantro and bring to a boil.
- Continue to boil gently and stir occasionally for about 20 minutes.
- Add the cilantro and boil for another 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 24 hours before serving.
This recipe is good for canning as well. Follow your preferred canning methods for chutney that you can use later. See Indian Chutney Recipe for a simple version not inspired by the Major's recipe.
The condiment is excellent with shrimp dishes and appetizers. Enjoy the chutney with cheese and crackers or with coconut shrimp. Whether you purchase the brand or experiment with recipes inspired by Major Grey's chutney, the results will be outstanding.