Did you ever wonder what the differences between regular and gourmet muffin recipes were? Learn what it takes to create a gourmet muffin.
Some Characteristics of Gourmet Muffins
Most gourmet muffins have many things in common.
Size and Shape
Gourmet muffins all have a perfect shape and are usually larger than a standard muffin. They tend to have perfectly domed tops. You too can accomplish this perfection by quickly blending ingredients, filling the muffin cups, making sure the batter is good and thick and baking at about 425°F.
Gourmet muffins usually have some sort of topping on them. This gives them a finished, professional look as well as adding flavor and texture to the muffin. Some common toppings are:
- Sprinkle of turbinado sugar
- Colored sprinkles
Using top-quality ingredients will help ensure gourmet muffins. You can also use unique ingredients that are similar to ingredients called for in the recipe. For example:
- Consider using mango in place of peaches.
- When a recipe calls for citrus consider using a different, more unusual citrus.
- Try melting the butter and allowing it to turn a golden brown before using it. Using browned butter gives baked goods a rich, nutty flavor that can't be duplicated any other way.
- Add chocolate or white chocolate chunks to a fruit muffin recipe.
- Use a spoonful of jam, peanut butter, or Nutella in the center of the batter for a delicious surprise.
- Consider adding crisp bacon to apple cinnamon muffins.
- Substitute hazelnuts or macadamia nuts for the more run of the mill pecan or walnut.
Rose and Key Lime Muffins
These are a light, tangy muffin with the delicate flavor of rose, perfect with an Oolong or a light herbal tea.
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup key lime juice
- 1/2 tablespoon rose water
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chunks.
- Combine the dry ingredients and blend. Set aside.
- Whisk the milk, eggs, butter, lime juice, zest, and rose water until smooth.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients, stir until just moistened.
- Stir in white chocolate chunks.
- Spoon the batter into lined muffin cups.
- Sprinkle the tops with white sugar crystals.
- Bake at 425°F for 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
More Gourmet Muffin Recipes
Looking for more unique muffin recipes? Try one of these deliciously tempting treats:
Once you have made a muffin recipe successfully a few times, change a few of the ingredients. Have the confidence to experiment with flavors and textures; the worst thing that can happen is that a batch won't work out. Gourmet muffin recipes are created when people take chances and try something new. Who knows? You may be the next Julia Child.