If you've been looking for a way to dress up your chocolate mousse recipe, consider making a chocolate mousse torte. The creamy chocolate taste of classic mousse gets a face lift with the dense nutty cake of a torte.
Mousse is a dish created by whipping cream and eggs to produce a very light, fluffy texture. While mousses can be either savory or sweet, the most common flavor associated with the dish is chocolate.
Chocolate mousse was created by French chefs and until the 1960s was seen almost exclusively in restaurants. Today, there are dozens of variations of chocolate mousse recipes, from cakes to pies, and of course, tortes.
A torte is a type of cake that uses ground nuts in place of flour. Ground almonds, pecans or hazelnuts can all make the base of this rich cake; eggs and sugar round out the primary ingredients. Tortes are known for incorporating layers of cake with rich fillings or icing. Chocolate mousse, with its light, airy texture makes the perfect balancing point for a rich, chocolate torte.
Chocolate Mousse Torte Recipe
The torte will be assembled in layers, once the cake and mousse have completely cooled. Make the ingredients ahead of time and refrigerate until needed; assemble before serving or transporting.
Chocolate Torte Ingredients
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 ounces 70% dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 5 eggs separated
- 1 cup ground almonds or almond meal
Chocolate Mousse Ingredients
- 7 ounces 70% dark chocolate chopped
- 7 eggs separated
- 1-1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Chocolate Torte Instructions
- Melt the butter and chocolate together over a double boiler and stir until smooth. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and beginning to form peaks.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until creamy.
- Pour the chocolate and almonds into the egg and sugar mixture and mix well.
- Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture slowly, stirring until no white remains visible.
- Separate the batter into two, greased 8-inch pans, filling each pan only 1/3 of the way full.
- Bake the torte at 350 degrees for 45 minutes on the center rack of the oven.
- Allow to cool completely.
Chocolate Mousse Instructions
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler until smooth.
- Beat the cream until soft peaks begin to form.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Sprinkle the sugar in and continue beating until the peaks begin to stiffen.
- Pour the egg yolks and melted chocolate over the egg whites and stir until well-incorporated.
- Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture gently and chill the mousse for one hour.
- Place the first layer of torte on a plate, and spoon a layer of mousse evenly over the cake.
- Gently place the second layer of torte on top of the mousse.
- Cover the top of the torte with mousse. You can also spread the mousse down the sides of the torte.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings, raspberries, chocolate sprinkles, large pieces of chocolate, crumbs from the torte or fresh whipped cream. Keep chilled until ready to serve.
Chocolate mousse torte is an extremely dense, rich dessert that can satisfy any chocolate lover's craving. Serve one at your next get together, or present it to someone as a gift; either way you are sure to please even the most strident lovers of chocolate you know.